Because scent is the quickest sense to reach our emotions
We all know how powerful scents can be at evoking certain memories: the
smell of the tangy, salty sea breeze taking you back to your childhood
summers, the smell of freshly-baked goods taking you back to your grandma’s
kitchen, or the smell of that one perfume that brings back your teenage years.
The reason why scent can instantly conjure up these memories is because
emotions, as well as memories, learning, and motivation, are processed in the
same area of the brain as smell: the limbic system.
Studies have shown that 75% of the emotions generated every day are due to smell, making it the strongest of the five senses.
Studies have found that ,the effect of pleasurable scents can increase sales by up to 80%
- It has been scientifically proven that scent has a very strong influence on emotions.
- Marketing innovators have harnessed the power of scent to create a potent marketing tool that is proven to increase sales, intent to purchase, and the likelihood of returning to a store/establishment.
- It has been scientifically proven that human beings can recall scents with an astounding 65% accuracy after a year of smelling them, as opposed to the recall of visuals which is a mere 50% after only three months.
- According to studies, people will stay up to 44% longer in a store that is pleasurably scented.
- In offices, banks and other working environments, certain formulas can assist in reducing clerical errors and increase alertness when conducting detailed tasks.